Thursday 24 October 2019

Using Data

In our DFI today, I have been reminded of the criticality of Visibility to effective learning. This is so refreshing in comparison to my own experience throughout primary, secondary and university education in the 70s and 80s, where we had to guess what was in our teacher's mind and how she might want our work presented back to her. Incredibly, this approach was still in evidence for my own children going through Primary school in 'the noughties'.  So it is very exciting to be part of the creativity and motivation that Learn, Create, Share enables for our Manaiakalani learners, and how this shines through in what these kids are producing and achieving.

I enjoyed thinking about how data can be collected and presented in a way that is accessible and interesting for my audience.  From a user perspective, I have learned about a number of add-ons and shortcuts that will to make my spreadsheet work much easier.  I've been playing around with graphs - we spent some time analysing learner blog post frequency, and I have graphed the results for one student below.


Today, I have also taken my Google Maps knowledge to a new level. I have been impressed by the many ways teachers can leverage this tool in the classroom.  While I'm still at the most basic level myself, I did have fun charting my journey from home to my office each day, and measuring the distance.




I have also learned how to translate content from forms on to a map - just like magic!

The session on Google Forms has been very timely - there is so much scope for me to utilise this tool so much more in my work, and achieve many efficiencies as a result. 









2 comments:

  1. I found this session so informative and useful. Probably the session I have followed up on the most. We have so many things on at school at the moment that it is hard to remember to add new learning in to the planning, but the new understanding around sheets has been really beneficial for myself and the kids. I am also amazed at what the kids can do with their sharing and am keen to get more of our community engaging with them.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Talofa Jenny!
    I had lots of take aways from this session too. Google sheets has made me change the way I look at collecting and collating our data as a syndicate. Sheets was a tool which scared me and now I love it! I definitely need more time to explore Google maps which is hard at this time of the school year.

    ReplyDelete